Tuesday, April 28, 2009

last meal

my time here is quickly drawing to a close. in fact today was my last day of work. the kids at all my schools were very sweet and they gave me lots of kisses and drawings, in typical little kid fashion. also today, a teacher from one of the schools invited me to her house for dinner. i accepted, naturally. it seemed like a fitting end to my time in st-étienne. also fitting because the experience seemed to encapsulate everything i've gleaned here about french etiquette and eating habits.

i arrived at my teacher's house (that's right, house. not apartment, ooh) where i took off my shoes and was offered a pair of slippers. the teacher showed me the house with a nice view of the admittedly ugly city and their big garden in the backyard. i was offered juice (or an aperitif) which i accepted and we chatted about their trips to the US and my time in france. eventually she and her husband began preparing dinner and got out some amuse-gueules in the way of pistachios and little croutons with red pepper and tomato spreads (very tasty). they ate slowly and deliberately, placing the knives on separate plates and the pistachio shells into a separate bowl. they also offered me a sweet wine (muscat) which i gladly sampled.

when the kids got home and dinner was ready we ate. the family served the food for everyone, which she explained would normally be eaten in three separate courses. mais bon. we had a salad with a light dressing, scalloped potatoes with heavy cream in a pastry crust, and filet mignon (!) served with (of course) a sauce that i was told was made from mustard (though it didn't seem mustardy). the meal was, naturally, accompanied with bread, which is always placed on the table - not the plate. the principal purpose of the bread is not to be eaten but rather to scoop up the remaining sauces on your plate.

after all this food i was sufficiently stuffed.
then they brought out the cheese plate. they had five or six varieties, including one or two smelly ones. of course i had to sample and as i did so they told me which region each cheese came from. i assumed this was dessert, but no. there was more. in french fashion, we had fruit (pears) but they were accompanied with french vanilla (ha) ice cream and drizzled with dark chocolate sauce. so delicious. i'm surprised i could even move after all this. my teacher drove me to the train station where i fell right to sleep on the train for the first time since i've been here. i guess all it took was a ton of food and red wine, go figure.

it was a little sad realizing i'll (probably) never be back in st-étienne again. though this was a very nice way to go out.

No comments: