Sunday, September 04, 2011

ganpati bappa morya (part 1)

As I've been told by nearly everyone I've met, I've managed to come to Mumbai at exactly the right time. First there was Janmashtani (aka Dahi Handi), the celebration of Krishna's birth, next was Eid-al-Fitr, the end of Ramadan, which was quickly followed by the kickoff of Ganesh Chathurthi. The latter, widely called Ganpati here, is a 10-day festival that begins on the birthday of Ganesh, the beloved elephant-headed deity. The festival is incredibly big in the West, and particularly zealously celebrated in Pune and Mumbai.

rangoli and pookalam
I don't think I could have asked for a better crash course in the festival than I've had these past few days. Day one began bright and early, catching a train to meet my professor at his home across town. I arrived to a beautiful home that was busy with activity. Your first impression of the place was 'there are a lot of deities.' Then your second impression was 'there are a lot of trophies.' My advisor later pointed out his cases and cases of trophies, awarded for folk art performances (I imagine) - his daughter is a classical dancer as well. As I sat awkwardly on the couch, I felt nervous.. what in the world was I going to do here all day. But Dr. Khandge quickly assuaged my fears. 'Make yourself at home, relax. [and the compulsory:] Would you like some tea?' I chatted with his daughter and son, who was skyping in from Virginia, and watched as everyone put the finishing touches on their pandal (a platform to house the deity).
preparatory offerings

I sheepishly asked whether I could take pictures - 'of course!' was the answer. That was why I was there, after all. I should have known the time would pass quickly if I could take pictures. I can easily while away hours taking pictures (much to the chagrin of people I'm with). Just then Dr. Khandge pointed me toward the rangoli, which the women were creating outside the doorway. The pookalam (design made of flowers) was already already in place. When I got outside the women were beginning to fill in the outline of the rangoli with the colored powder. It was mesmerizing to watch.. and quite beautiful once finished.

clapping and chanting mantras are integral to the puja
receiving darshan and making offerings
The rest of the morning was filled with busying for the arrival of guests who included a young cousin named Rishika, who, luckily for me, took an immediate liking to me and, even luckier, spoke English. She spent the better part of the morning asking me if I knew Justin Bieber ('personally??') and trying to teach me Marathi (sigh, another language). She also served as my occasional interpreter, explaining that everyone was discussing.  The morning went quickly and before I knew it guests had arrived and the puja (prayer ceremony) had begun. I imagine these can get repetitive even if you understand the language, but for me it was a succession of chanting, ringing bells, presenting offerings (see pic) and clapping. the deity is then ritualistically placed in the pandal, where everyone gets a chance to receive darshan (gaze of the deity) and receive blessings. After doing so the appointed pujari offers prasad (blessings in the form of food) to the devotees. Once the deity (or murti) is in place he is adorned with flower garlands, cloth, and sprinkled with offerings like flower petals and powders (spices). At this point one of the younger cousins was given the honor of performing the aarti, offering fire to the deity (which is done by lighting camphor on a tray and rotating it before the murti), and the circulating it to everyone so that they can receive the warmth of the holy fire. The aarti itself was accompanied by chants and clapping, including the frequent interjection of: 'ganpatti bappa - morya!' (which roughly translates to 'oh Lord Ganesh'), a phrase I'm sure I heard (and repeated) no fewer than 8 dozen times in the past 48 hours. This is followed by several other phrases, whose transliterations and meanings I don't know.

After the puja process, we began the much anticipated eating process, though we were tided over by the offerings of ladoo and modak (sacramental sweets). Much fuss was made over whether I needed anything else while eating (a spoon? more rice?) but I ate on the floor with my hand with the best of 'em, if I do say so myself. Over the meal my advisor explained that Ganesh is seen as the god of the masses. I can't think of a better place than Mumbai for ultimate celebrations of such a deity.

After lunch I was advised to go take a nap, which didn't take much convincing (after little sleep the night before). I slept well and was awakened to 'Glenna! It's time to put on sari' In a matter of moments I was ceremoniously taken out of my kurta and wrapped up in a lovely maroon sari. It was at this point that I realized that I had a large tear along the seam of my kurta. ('Yes, everybody was talking about it'. Great.) There must have been six of seven ladies filtering in and out of that room. One woman, Monika, skillfully wrapped the sari, brushed out my curly hair (no easy feat), put up my hair in traditional style - with flowers, and did my makeup (hello, burgundy lipstick). I think they enjoyed dolling me up. Rishika cutely doted on me, saying things like 'You look prettier than Aishwarya Rai' which is both very flattering and absolutely untrue. (She was used as the face of Indian Barbie, to give you a frame of reference.)

traditional kirtan, stories of the gods in music and song
The guests began filtering in.. and just kept on coming! I would say I've never seen so many Indians in one room but that just wouldn't be true. Much fuss was made over my presence, some more obviously than others (Rishika informed me: 'everyone is talking about you.' then added, 'they are all praising you.') Eventually once everyone had arrived - I would say at least 35, but perhaps more - the puja began. It was much the same as before, though this time I was given the task of performing the aarti, which I hope I did without looking to bewildered. Prasad was given, guests took darshan, and offerings of flowers, money, sweets and more were presented to Shri Ganesha. Everyone once again gathered on the floor - a beautiful blend of colorful saris (I swear it was as if they coordinated - no two were the same shade) and kurtas. The daughter, Sukhi (the dancer) oversaw a group of her students performing a classical dance. Then the musicians came out and we saw a traditional kirtan, a mix of sung and spoken word stories about the gods. All I could make out were the names of the gods, but I was later told that I was 'very attentive'. Whew. This was followed once again by food - paranthas, dal, rice, pickle and plenty of sweets. As the evening came to a close and guests began to filter out, the family and I discussed this and that.. my impressions of India, Indian English, yoga asanas. We had a final cup of chai together before hitting the hay.

Utterly exhausting. And this was just day one! More to come...

1 comment:

anglofilly said...

The colors must be absolutely overwhelming--more than Rajasthan, I would say.